Table of Contents
- Is Turmeric good for losing weight?
- How to take Turmeric for weight loss?
- What is the best time to take Turmeric for weight loss?
- What is the recommended dose of Turmeric for weight loss?
- How long does it take for Turmeric to work for weight loss?
- How to make a Ginger Turmeric shot for weight loss?
- What are the benefits of Milk with Turmeric for weight loss?
- Can you use Turmeric and Apple cider vinegar for weight loss?
- Can you use Turmeric coffee for weight loss?
Is Turmeric good for losing weight?
Turmeric is good for losing weight because Curcumin, an active ingredient of turmeric, promotes weight loss and limits the growth of fat tissues, it further increases sensitivity to insulin and avoids weight regain after loss.
Curcumin forms a complex with fat tissues and prevents their further growth. A study performed on rats shows that Curcumin can be potentially effective in preventing weight gain after ending a calorie-restricted diet and exercise. It could be beneficial for people who experience a sudden increase in weight after a weight loss regimen.
A clinical trial demonstrates that curcumin and piperine supplementation in people led to a significant decrease in body weight, body mass index, and waist circumference.
In the video below, Thomas DeLauer shows how to lose fat with Turmeric:
This is our recommended Turmeric supplement (Amazon’s Choice):
How to take Turmeric for weight loss?
Turmeric for weight loss can be taken in powder form or as a curcumin extract. Most scientific studies use curcumin extract to determine its effects on weight loss.
Turmeric powder can be taken for weight loss as follows:
- As turmeric tea: Add a spoonful of turmeric to a cup of boiling water, stir and drink when lukewarm.
- Add turmeric powder to daily cooking.
- Add turmeric to milk, boil for a minute and allow to cool. Drink.
- Can be consumed as a capsule 1-3 times a day.
It is suggested to consume black pepper extract along with turmeric or curcumin to increase its absorption.
What is the best time to take Turmeric for weight loss?
The best time to take turmeric for weight loss is in the morning. During a weight loss regimen, the toxins get released from fat cells, which then need to be flushed from the body. Taking turmeric in the morning helps to get rid of toxins and start metabolism.
However, turmeric can also be taken at the night before bedtime.
Taking turmeric on empty stomach can cause irritation in some people, so It is recommended to consume turmeric with some healthy fats. Fats may help avoid irritation as well it can improve the absorption of turmeric.
What is the recommended dose of Turmeric for weight loss?
Studies suggest taking a dose of turmeric containing 500-2000 mg of curcumin per day for weight loss. Turmeric contains about 3.14% of curcumin, meaning each 100 grams of turmeric powder will have 3.14 grams of curcumin. So, one would have to consume about 15-60 grams of turmeric powder to get a sufficient dose of curcumin.
A trial conducted on 44 people demonstrated that, supplementing with 800 mg of curcumin per day for 30 days resulted in a 5% decrease in body weight and an 8% decrease in body fat.
Most weight loss studies use turmeric extract or curcumin as a supplement. Given the low bioavailability of turmeric powder, it is suggested to use curcumin along with black pepper extract for weight loss.
How long does it take for Turmeric to work for weight loss?
It takes a minimum of 4 weeks for turmeric to work for weight loss. The exact time required however depends on various factors such as current weight, health condition, and metabolic status of the person.
In a study, it took 4 weeks of curcumin supplementation to decrease the body weight by 5%.
An analysis of studies shows that the duration of curcumin supplementation ranged from 4 to 36 weeks.
Piperine (Black pepper extract) improves the absorption of curcumin, taking both of them together may decrease the time required for them to work for weight loss.
How to make a Ginger Turmeric shot for weight loss?
To make a ginger turmeric shot follow the directions below:
- Ginger- 1 tablespoon peeled or unpeeled
- Turmeric powder: 2 and a half teaspoons of turmeric powder
- Orange: 2, peeled
- Lemon Juice: 2 tablespoons
- Mix all of the above ingredients into a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- If required squeeze the juice through a cheesecloth.
- Store the shot in the refrigerator.
- Serve chilled.
In order to avoid losing the nutritional benefits of the shot, consume it within 48 hours of preparation.
It is safe to store the shot in a freezer for up to 3 months, thaw before serving.
What are the benefits of Milk with Turmeric for weight loss?
Following are the benefits of milk with turmeric for weight loss:
- Accelerate weight loss: Curcumin, the active ingredient of turmeric works as an anti-oxidant and breaks down stored fat.
- Burn more calories: The milk with turmeric contains ingredients that release heat during consumption. It does so by increasing the rate of metabolism and burning more calories.
- Prevents accumulation of fat in the body: It helps maintain sugar levels in the body by preventing insulin resistance. The optimal levels of sugar help avoid the storage of excess fats in the body.
- Improves digestion.
Can you use Turmeric and Apple cider vinegar for weight loss?
Turmeric and apple cider vinegar can be used for weight loss because the former prevents the growth of fat tissue, and breaks down existing fat tissues. Vinegar further assists weight loss by increasing the rate of metabolism and reducing body fat and triglyceride levels.
Online forums suggest adding metabolism boosters like cayenne pepper or ginger to further accelerate the weight loss process with turmeric and apple cider vinegar.
Apple cider vinegar and turmeric drink can be made by simply combining, apple cider vinegar and turmeric in the water. Lemon juice and honey can be added to the mixture to enhance the taste further.
Can you use Turmeric coffee for weight loss?
Turmeric coffee can be useful for weight loss because its active ingredients aid in weight loss. Curcumin in turmeric prevents the growth and retention of fat cells, it also helps break down fat cells and detox the body. The caffeine in the coffee increases the rate of metabolism helps burn more calories and results in weight loss.
To use turmeric coffee for weight loss:
- Take a teaspoonful of coffee in water.
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Add honey to taste.
- Heat the mixture to the desired temperature.
- Drink while warm.
Want to know more?
Click the links below to access the individual topic pages:
This article makes use of information from the U.S. National Library of Medicine under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Bradford PG. Curcumin and obesity. Biofactors. 2013 Jan-Feb;39(1):78-87. doi: 10.1002/biof.1074. Epub 2013 Jan 22. PMID: 23339049.
- Teich T, Pivovarov JA, Porras DP, Dunford EC, Riddell MC. Curcumin limits weight gain, adipose tissue growth, and glucose intolerance following the cessation of exercise and caloric restriction in rats. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2017 Dec 1;123(6):1625-1634. doi: 10.1152/japplphysiol.01115.2016. Epub 2017 Aug 24. PMID: 28839007; PMCID: PMC5814682.
- Di Pierro F, Bressan A, Ranaldi D, Rapacioli G, Giacomelli L, Bertuccioli A. Potential role of bioavailable curcumin in weight loss and omental adipose tissue decrease: preliminary data of a randomized, controlled trial in overweight people with metabolic syndrome. Preliminary study. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2015 Nov;19(21):4195-202. PMID: 26592847.
- Akbari M, Lankarani KB, Tabrizi R, Ghayour-Mobarhan M, Peymani P, Ferns G, Ghaderi A, Asemi Z. The Effects of Curcumin on Weight Loss Among Patients With Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Front Pharmacol. 2019 Jun 12;10:649. doi: 10.3389/fphar.2019.00649. PMID: 31249528; PMCID: PMC6582779.
- Kondo T, Kishi M, Fushimi T, Ugajin S, Kaga T. Vinegar intake reduces body weight, body fat mass, and serum triglyceride levels in obese Japanese subjects. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2009 Aug;73(8):1837-43. doi: 10.1271/bbb.90231. Epub 2009 Aug 7. PMID: 19661687.