Table of Contents
- Are Turmeric and Coconut oil good for teeth health?
- How to make Turmeric paste for teeth?
- Is Turmeric paste good for gums’ health?
- Can you use Turmeric for a toothache?
- Want to know more?
Are Turmeric and Coconut oil good for teeth health?
Turmeric and coconut oil are good for teeth health because the anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties of turmeric help prevent gum inflammation and maintain oral hygiene. Further, coconut oil can help remove bacteria and promote dental health.
A study was performed to evaluate the effectiveness of turmeric as a mouthwash on 60 subjects, which compared turmeric to a commercially available mouthwash. The researchers found that using only a 0.1% solution of turmeric for 3 weeks, decreased dental plaque, inflammation, and microbial load as well as the commercially available mouthwash.
Using turmeric and coconut oil for dental health is an attractive alternative for people who don’t want to use products containing chemical ingredients.
In the video below, the YouTube channel “1st Family Dental” shows how to whiten your teeth with turmeric:
This is our recommended Turmeric Powder supplement (Amazon’s Choice):
How to make Turmeric paste for teeth?
Follow the directions below to make a turmeric paste for teeth:
- Turmeric with water: Add a small quantity of water to a teaspoonful of turmeric to make a thick paste. Apply it to the toothbrush and brush your teeth.
- Turmeric with coconut oil: Take a ¼ teaspoonful of turmeric and mix it with a ⅛ teaspoonful of melted coconut oil.
- Turmeric, coconut oil, peppermint oil, and baking soda: Add a ¼ teaspoonful of turmeric, ⅛ teaspoonful of coconut oil, 2 drops of mint or peppermint extract, and a ¼ teaspoon of baking soda. Mix well to form a paste.
Rinse your mouth with clean water after brushing.
n the video below, “The Doctors” YouTube channel discuss how adding turmeric to food could potentially help to combat liver disease:
Is Turmeric paste good for gums’ health?
Turmeric paste is good for gums’ health because it prevents inflammation and bacterial growth with its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
Studies show that turmeric can help reduce plaque, inflammation, and microbial infection during gum disease.
Turmeric may also help treat swollen gums. Studies suggest the use of turmeric paste to treat serious gum disease to protect against swelling and soft tissue damage to the gums. The study suggests rubbing a paste containing turmeric, salt, and mustard oil twice a day to get relief from gum issues.
A turmeric paste can be easily made using ingredients available at home and can be used daily to improve gum health.
Can you use Turmeric for a toothache?
Turmeric can be used for toothache because the analgesic property of curcumin helps relieve the pain associated with toothache.
Turmeric also decreases inflammation and helps maintain oral hygiene. In addition curcumin, the active ingredient of turmeric, works as an antiseptic, and antibacterial and helps decrease the infection if present.
To use turmeric for toothache, grind a raw pod of turmeric with a small quantity of water, and make a thick paste. If the raw pod is not available then commercially available turmeric powder can be used. Apply the paste to the aching tooth to get relief from the pain.
Want to know more?
Click the links below to access the individual topic pages:
This article makes use of information from the U.S. National Library of Medicine under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Singh A, Purohit B. Tooth brushing, oil pulling and tissue regeneration: A review of holistic approaches to oral health. J Ayurveda Integr Med. 2011 Apr;2(2):64-8. doi: 10.4103/0975-9476.82525. PMID: 21760690; PMCID: PMC3131773.
- Mali AM, Behal R, Gilda SS. Comparative evaluation of 0.1% turmeric mouthwash with 0.2% chlorhexidine gluconate in prevention of plaque and gingivitis: A clinical and microbiological study. J Indian Soc Periodontol. 2012 Jul;16(3):386-91. doi: 10.4103/0972-124X.100917. PMID: 23162334; PMCID: PMC3498709.