Table of Contents
- Do Probiotics help with pH balance?
- Can Probiotics be used for women’s pH balance?
- How long does it take for probiotics to work for pH balance?
- Why are Probiotics good for hormone balance?
- Can Probiotics throw off your pH balance?
- Want to know more?
Do Probiotics help with pH balance?
Probiotics help with pH balance by producing hydrogen peroxide which in turn contributes to a healthy pH level in the body and provides a good environment for good bacteria to thrive as well as eliminate bad bacteria.
A study published in the Journal of Redox Biology in 2018, proved the role of probiotics in increasing hydrogen peroxide which helps in modifying pH balance and reducing inflammation.
Can Probiotics be used for women’s pH balance?
Probiotics can be used for women’s pH balance owing to the role they play in maintaining vaginal pH in a healthy range and preventing several discomforting infections like yeast infections, bacterial vaginosis, and urinary tract infections.
Below is a list of the best working probiotics strain that provides these functions:
- Lactobacillus reuteri
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus
- Lactobacillus acidophilus
- Lactobacillus crispatus
A recent study published in the International Journal of Women Health in 2022, reveals that probiotics have an effect on reducing elevated vaginal pH.
In the video below, Bria from “Girl Talk” explains how probiotics can balance your pH and help with vaginal odor:
This is our recommended Probiotic Supplement for Women’s pH Balance:
How long does it take for probiotics to work for pH balance?
The time it takes for probiotics to work for pH balance can be as early as 2 days up to several months. However, it will also depend on several factors and these include the following:
- The type of probiotic strain
- Product formula
- Product quality
- A person’s health condition
- The condition being treated
Having said that, they may not work at all for some people.
Why are Probiotics good for hormone balance?
Probiotics are good for hormone balance because they can help regulate necessary estrogen metabolism, especially during times of hormonal imbalance like menopause or PMS.
Below is a list of probiotics that are good for hormone balance:
- Lactobacillus gasseri
- Lactobacillus acidophilus
The positive impact of probiotics on hormone balance additionally leads to a decreased risk of several conditions resulting from imbalanced hormones, which include the following:
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Weight gain
- Ovarian cysts fibroids
- Cardiovascular disease
- Breast cancer
Can Probiotics throw off your pH balance?
Probiotics can’t throw off your pH balance and won’t have much of an effect on it if you don’t already suffer from an issue affecting it. However, many external risk factors can affect your pH balance and these include the following:
- Having sex without a condom
- Scented soaps or shower gels to clean the area down there
- Menstrual blood
Thus, it’s very important to stay away from anything that can disturb your pH balance to avoid any unwanted complications.
Want to know more?
Click the links below to access the individual topic pages:
This article makes use of information from the U.S. National Library of Medicine under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Singh AK, Hertzberger RY, Knaus UG. Hydrogen peroxide production by lactobacilli promotes epithelial restitution during colitis. Redox Biol. 2018 Jun;16:11-20. doi: 10.1016/j.redox.2018.02.003. Epub 2018 Feb 12. PMID: 29471162; PMCID: PMC5835490.
- Martoni CJ, Frederiksen AKS, Damholt A, Leyer G. Effects of a 10-Strain Oral Probiotic on Parameters of Vaginal Health and Microbial Community: A Pilot Clinical Study. Int J Womens Health. 2022 Jan 18;14:29-39. doi: 10.2147/IJWH.S341046. PMID: 35082535; PMCID: PMC8786346.
- Lambert MNT, Thybo CB, Lykkeboe S, Rasmussen LM, Frette X, Christensen LP, Jeppesen PB. Combined bioavailable isoflavones and probiotics improve bone status and estrogen metabolism in postmenopausal osteopenic women: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017 Sep;106(3):909-920. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.117.153353. Epub 2017 Aug 2. PMID: 28768651.
- Mei Z, Li D. The role of probiotics in vaginal health. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2022 Jul 28;12:963868. doi: 10.3389/fcimb.2022.963868. PMID: 35967876; PMCID: PMC9366906.
- Szydłowska I, Marciniak A, Brodowska A, Loj B, Ciećwież S, Skonieczna-Żydecka K, Palma J, Łoniewski I, Stachowska E. Effects of probiotics supplementation on the hormone and body mass index in perimenopausal and postmenopausal women using the standardized diet. A 5-week double-blind, placebo-controlled, and randomized clinical study. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2021 May;25(10):3859-3867. doi: 10.26355/eurrev_202105_25953. PMID: 34109594.