Table of Contents
- What’s the Strongest Natural Anti Androgen?
- What are examples of Anti Androgen Foods?
- What’s the benefit of Anti Androgen Treatment For Hair Loss?
- Is Anti Androgen good For Acne treatment?
- Is Saw Palmetto an Anti Androgen?
- What are the benefits of an Anti-Androgen Diet?
- Can Spearmint tea be used as Anti Androgen?
- What are the best Anti Androgen Supplements For PCOS?
- Can Anti-androgens be used to treat prostate cancer?
- Is Red Reishi an Anti Androgen?
- Is Dim an effective Anti Androgen?
- Can you use Zinc as an Anti Androgen?
- Why is Green Tea used as an Anti Androgen?
- Can you use Black Cohosh as an Anti Androgen?
- Want to know more?
What’s the Strongest Natural Anti Androgen?
The Strongest Natural Anti Androgen is reishi mushroom due to its important role in inhibiting testosterone. A study published in the International Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism in 2012, revealed that reishi mushrooms reduced the levels of an enzyme called 5-alpha reductase which prevents the conversion of testosterone into DHT.
DHT is a more potent type of testosterone that is associated with acne, dark skin patches, and alopecia.
What are examples of Anti Androgen Foods?
Examples of Anti Androgen Foods include the following:
- Soybean products (ex. edamame, tofu, soy milk, and miso)
- Licorice root
- Vegetable oil (ex. canola, corn, and cottonseed oil)
- Processed foods (ex. convenience meals, and frozen food)
In the video below, Sushma Jaiswal explains natural sources & herbs to lower down androgen levels:
This is our recommended Anti Androgen supplement (Amazon’s Choice):
What’s the benefit of Anti Androgen Treatment For Hair Loss?
Anti Androgen treatment can be beneficial for Hair Loss because it can slow and stop the process of hair thinning in women with high testosterone levels, or men with male-pattern baldness.
A study published in the Journal of Clinics in Dermatology in 1988, shows that for women, anti-androgen treatment is a significantly effective treatment and is considered safe while in males the risk associated with long-term use remains unknown.
Another study published in the Journal of Clujul Medicine in 2014, concluded that anti-androgenic medication was very effective in treating 35 women with androgenic alopecia and acne vulgaris.
Is Anti Androgen treatment good For Acne?
Anti Androgen treatment is good for Acne as it provides the following functions:
- Regulates the levels of testosterone hormone
- Reduces sebum production
- Reduces comedone formation
A review study published in the Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology in 2009, concludes that anti-androgen treatment provides great results in acne treatment resulting from hormonal imbalance. However, it should be used in combination with other treatments and under the supervision of a healthcare professional.
A recent study published in the International Journal of Dermatology in 2021, introduces a safety assessment of a new anti-androgen medication called calscoterone which was previously approved by the FDA for acne treatment.
Is Saw Palmetto an Anti Androgen?
Saw Palmetto is an Anti Androgen that helps in reducing testosterone and DHT levels. Through its anti-androgenic properties, saw palmetto prevents the following symptoms:
- Increased muscle mass
- Hair thinning
- Excess body hair
- Reduced breast size
- Mood swings
- Irritable behavior
- Body odor
What are the benefits of an Anti-Androgen Diet?
The benefits of an Anti-Androgen Diet involve getting rid of symptoms caused by high testosterone levels in women, these include the following:
- Lack of menstruation
- Oily skin
- Female body shape changes
- Breast size reduction
- Clitoris enlargement
- Increased muscle mass
- Increased deepening of the voice
Additionally, excess androgens in the body can lead to unpleasant health conditions like Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). Thus, following an anti-androgenic diet can help prevent these consequences.
Below is a list of foods that can be incorporated into an anti-androgen diet:
- Spearmint tea
- Fatty fish (ex. salmon)
Can Spearmint tea be used as Anti Androgen?
Spearmint tea can be used as an Anti Androgen remedy which comes from a natural herb source. Aside from its anti-androgenic properties, it also provides other health benefits including the following:
- Fights inflammation
- Boosting immunity
- Promotes gut healing
A study published in the Journal of Phytotherapy Research in 2010, that spearmint herbal tea played a significant role in reducing testosterone levels. Similarly, another recent study published in the Journal of Ovarian Research in 2020, concluded that combining spearmint with flaxseed was effective in hormone regulation.
What are the best Anti Androgen Supplements For PCOS?
The best Anti Androgen Supplements For PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) include the following:
- Herbal blends to balance hormones
- Reishi mushroom
- Fish oil
- Mineral supplements
- Spearmint tea
Nevertheless, you should always consult your doctor before taking any supplement to best avoid any unwanted complications.
Can Anti-androgens be used to treat prostate cancer?
Anti-androgens may be used to treat prostate cancer. Research shows that in the early stages of development, prostate cancer requires androgens to grow. So, anti-androgens may be used to cut off its supply, as they are chemical compounds that inhibit the action of testosterone, a common androgen, on cancer cells.
Based on current medical evidence anti-androgens are integral to treating prostate cancer.
These oral medications are usually prescribed during or before LHRH (Luteinizing hormone-releasing hormone) agonist therapy.
Common anti-androgens used are:
- Bicalutamide (Casodex)
- Nilutamide (Nilandron)
It should be noted that in most cases prostate cancer becomes resistant to hormone therapy.
Is Red Reishi an Anti Androgen?
Red Reishi is an Anti Androgen that inhibits the production of DHT (a potent type of testosterone hormone) by binding to 5-alpha reductase and subsequently combating hair loss and regulating hormone levels.
Is Dim an effective Anti Androgen?
DIM (Diindolylmethane) is an effective Anti Androgen due to its ability to inhibit aromatase enzymes and block androgen receptors. A study published in the Journal of Biological Chemistry in 2003, reveals that DIM has both anticancer and antiandrogenic properties.
Nevertheless, it’s important to know that it also plays a role in inhibiting estrogen hormone as well. Thus, it should only be taken under the supervision of a healthcare professional.
Can you use Zinc as an Anti Androgen?
You can use Zinc as an Anti Androgen as it plays a role in improving ovarian function in females and provides the following functions:
- Increasing progesterone hormone levels
- Decreasing androgen levels
- Reducing the rate of conversion of testosterone into the more potent DHT
A study published in the International Journal of Molecular Sciences in 2018, sheds light on the association between decreased zinc levels and prostate cancer cell growth. While another study published in the Journal of Nutrients in 2020, reveals that zinc supplementation helps in relieving menstrual pains.
Why is Green Tea used as an Anti Androgen?
Green tea is used as an Anti Androgen due to its catechins composition which provides the following functions:
- Modulates the production of androgens (testosterone and DHT)
- Acts as an antioxidant
- Reduces hair loss
- Decreases hyperplasia
- Prevents acne
A study published in the British Journal of Pharmacology in 2003, suggests that green tea has both antiandrogenic and anti-diabetic properties. Another recent study published in the Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology in 2021, claims that green tea may prevent PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome) complications by controlling glycemic levels and stimulating weight loss.
Can you use Black Cohosh as an Anti Androgen?
Black Cohosh can be used as an Anti Androgen because it possesses the following functions:
- Treating menopause symptoms (ex. Hot flashes)
- Analgesic effect
- Sedative effect
- Anti-inflammatory effect
Nevertheless, they may cause some unwanted side effects when consumed on a long-term basis, these include the following:
- Dark urine
- Stomach upset
- Liver damage
Thus, it’s recommended to consult your doctor first before taking it.
Want to know more?
Click the links below to access the individual topic pages:
This article uses information from the U.S. National Library of Medicine under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Grant P, Ramasamy S. An update on plant-derived anti-androgens. Int J Endocrinol Metab. 2012 Spring;10(2):497-502. doi: 10.5812/ijem.3644. Epub 2012 Apr 20. PMID: 23843810; PMCID: PMC3693613.
- Rittmaster RS. Topical antiandrogens in the treatment of male-pattern baldness. Clin Dermatol. 1988 Oct-Dec;6(4):122-8. doi: 10.1016/0738-081x(88)90076-4. PMID: 3063366.
- Coneac A, Muresan A, Orasan MS. Antiandrogenic Therapy with Ciproterone Acetate in Female Patients Who Suffer from Both Androgenetic Alopecia and Acne Vulgaris. Clujul Med. 2014;87(4):226-34. doi: 10.15386/cjmed-386. Epub 2014 Nov 12. PMID: 26528029; PMCID: PMC4620668.
- Ebede TL, Arch EL, Berson D. Hormonal treatment of acne in women. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2009 Dec;2(12):16-22. PMID: 20725580; PMCID: PMC2923944.
- Santhosh P, George M. Clascoterone: a new topical anti-androgen for acne management. Int J Dermatol. 2021 Dec;60(12):1561-1565. doi: 10.1111/ijd.15752. Epub 2021 Jul 9. PMID: 34242398.
- Grant P. Spearmint herbal tea has significant anti-androgen effects in polycystic ovarian syndrome. A randomized controlled trial. Phytother Res. 2010 Feb;24(2):186-8. doi: 10.1002/ptr.2900. PMID: 19585478.
- Mehraban, M., Jelodar, G. & Rahmanifar, F. A combination of spearmint and flaxseed extract improved endocrine and histomorphology of ovary in experimental PCOS. J Ovarian Res 13, 32 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1186/s13048-020-00633-8
- Le HT, Schaldach CM, Firestone GL, Bjeldanes LF. Plant-derived 3,3′-Diindolylmethane is a strong androgen antagonist in human prostate cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2003 Jun 6;278(23):21136-45. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M300588200. Epub 2003 Mar 27. PMID: 12665522.
- To PK, Do MH, Cho YS, Kwon SY, Kim MS, Jung C. Zinc Inhibits Expression of Androgen Receptor to Suppress Growth of Prostate Cancer Cells. Int J Mol Sci. 2018 Oct 8;19(10):3062. doi: 10.3390/ijms19103062. PMID: 30297600; PMCID: PMC6213098.
- Nasiadek M, Stragierowicz J, Klimczak M, Kilanowicz A. The Role of Zinc in Selected Female Reproductive System Disorders. Nutrients. 2020 Aug 16;12(8):2464. doi: 10.3390/nu12082464. PMID: 32824334; PMCID: PMC7468694.
- Naftalin RJ, Afzal I, Cunningham P, Halai M, Ross C, Salleh N, Milligan SR. Interactions of androgens, green tea catechins and the antiandrogen flutamide with the external glucose-binding site of the human erythrocyte glucose transporter GLUT1. Br J Pharmacol. 2003 Oct;140(3):487-99. doi: 10.1038/sj.bjp.0705460. Epub 2003 Aug 26. PMID: 12970085; PMCID: PMC1574051.
- Maleki, V., Taheri, E., Varshosaz, P. et al. A comprehensive insight into effects of green tea extract in polycystic ovary syndrome: a systematic review. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 19, 147 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12958-021-00831-z