Table of Contents
- What is Lactobacillus Plantarum DR7?
- What health benefits does Lactobacillus Plantarum Lp115 have?
- What are the benefits of Lactobacillus Plantarum 299v?
- What are the recent findings of Lactobacillus Plantarum strain JBC5?
- Can Lactobacillus Plantarum HEAL9 be used to manage stress?
- What properties does Lactobacillus Plantarum 6595 have?
- How can Lactobacillus Plantarum PS128 supplements help athletes with physical recovery?
- What effect does oral consumption of Lactobacillus Plantarum Lp8 have on the body?
- What effect does the administration of Lactobacillus Plantarum WCFS1 have on the body?
- Want to know more?
What is Lactobacillus Plantarum DR7?
Lactobacillus Plantarum DR7 is a probiotic strain used to support the gut microbiome in individuals suffering from chronic stress. The gut microbiome comprises all the microbes present in the gut. It is essential in controlling digestion and aiding the immune system against harmful bacteria.
Research has already established a positive connection between the gut microbiome and stress levels.
Studies on Lactobacillus Plantarum DR7 show that it may lower stress levels and modulate bowel movement in stressed adults. It is believed to achieve these results by regulating cortisol levels in the body during high-stress levels.
Interestingly, one study also discovered that Lactobacillus Plantarum DR7 improved upper respiratory tract infections by enhancing immune and inflammatory parameters.
In the video below, Dr. Ryan Bentley explains how Lactobacillus Plantarum is a probiotic that helps your gut bacteria start to flourish:
This is our recommended Probiotic Supplement with Lactobacillus Plantarum:
Biotics 8 – Probiotic Formula For Overall Gut Health
What health benefits does Lactobacillus Plantarum Lp115 have?
Based on the data gathered through research, Lactobacillus Plantarum Lp 115 has the following health benefits:
- Well suited for intestinal sustenance
- Elevated tolerance to acid and bile makes it ideal for maintaining gut health
- Immune modulation
- It may improve specific immune responses; it may influence immune regulation
- It may decrease important cardiovascular risk factors, such as glucose and homocysteine
- It may reduce the risk of postoperative infections
What are the benefits of Lactobacillus Plantarum 299v?
The benefits of Lactobacillus Plantarum 299v were observed in a study are reduction in abdominal pain, normalization of stool, prevention of diarrhea among patients on antibiotic treatment, and help in managing the symptoms of Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
The same study also concluded that Lactobacillus Plantarum 299v benefits oncology as it may reduce intestinal injury and inflammation after external radiation and enhance the intestinal mucosa’s immunological status.
What is the recent finding of Lactobacillus Plantarum strain JBC5?
In an animal study conducted in January 2022, researchers found that the Lactobacillus Plantarum JBC5 strain may be a next-generation probiotic.
Lactobacillus Plantarum JBC5 was able to increase the mean lifespan of worms by roughly 28%; it was able to achieve this by improving the quality of gut functions. Moreover, it increased the worm’s resistance to biotic and abiotic stresses such as heat, oxidative, and pathogen stresses. It also improved the cognitive functions of the worms.
Can Lactobacillus Plantarum HEAL9 be used to manage stress?
A study showed that individuals suffering from chronic stress showed significant improvements when administered Lactobacillus Plantarum HEAL9 for four weeks. These improvements were observed through an acute stress test involving a VR interview and a mathematical problem.
Although more research is required to use this probiotic as a treatment for chronic stress, this study of probiotics gives the use of probiotics in supporting mental health a new perspective.
What properties does Lactobacillus Plantarum 6595 have?
Studies have shown Lactobacillus Plantarum 6595 to have immune and gastro-supporting properties. One study showed that Lactobacillus Plantarum 6595 reduced bacterial translocation and intestinal permeability in patients suffering from acute pancreatitis.
Another study concluded that intaking Lactobacillus Plantarum 6595 might promote a healthy intestinal environment by improving their nutritional status and increasing the population and sustenance of health-promoting bacteria.
Lactobacillus Plantarum 6595 has also been observed to have anti-inflammatory properties.
How can a Lactobacillus Plantarum PS128 supplement help athletes with physical recovery?
A Lactobacillus Plantarum PS128 supplement can help athletes recover as it has anti-inflammatory and immunoregulatory properties. Studies have shown these properties to help in the following:
A study has been conducted on these effects of Lactobacillus Plantarum PS128, in which 8 runners were given Lactobacillus Plantarum PS128 supplement twice daily for four weeks. The runners then tested them for exercise capacity. This study, being placebo-controlled, was performed in two groups of eight.
The results showed the probiotic group to have better muscle recovery and lower muscle damage.
What effect does oral consumption of Lactobacillus Plantarum Lp8 have on the body?
According to a study, oral consumption of Lactobacillus Plantarum Lp8 could improve the body’s gastrointestinal health. However, some of these results were temporary and gradually faded once researchers stopped the administration of Lactobacillus Plantarum Lp8.
Furthermore, these results were also age-related.
What effect does the administration of Lactobacillus Plantarum WCFS1 have on the body?
According to a study, the administration of Lactobacillus Plantarum WCFS1 may inhibit the decline of the mucus barrier in the colon; this can help fight infection and keep the large intestine healthy.
Although these results were weak compared to other strains of Lactobacillus Plantarum and further research might be needed to confirm these benefits.
Want to know more?
Click the links below to access the individual topic pages:
This article makes use of information from the U.S. National Library of Medicine under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Foster JA, Rinaman L, Cryan JF. Stress & the gut-brain axis: Regulation by the microbiome. Neurobiol Stress. 2017 Mar 19;7:124-136. doi: 10.1016/j.ynstr.2017.03.001. PMID: 29276734; PMCID: PMC5736941.
- Chong HX, Yusoff NAA, Hor YY, Lew LC, Jaafar MH, Choi SB, Yusoff MSB, Wahid N, Abdullah MFIL, Zakaria N, Ong KL, Park YH, Liong MT. Lactobacillus plantarum DR7 alleviates stress and anxiety in adults: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Benef Microbes. 2019 Apr 19;10(4):355-373. doi: 10.3920/BM2018.0135. Epub 2019 Mar 18. PMID: 30882244.
- Liu G, Chong HX, Chung FY, Li Y, Liong MT. Lactobacillus plantarum DR7 Modulated Bowel Movement and Gut Microbiota Associated with Dopamine and Serotonin Pathways in Stressed Adults. Int J Mol Sci. 2020;21(13):4608. Published 2020 Jun 29. doi:10.3390/ijms21134608
- Chong HX, Yusoff NAA, Hor YY, Lew LC, Jaafar MH, Choi SB, Yusoff MSB, Wahid N, Abdullah MFIL, Zakaria N, Ong KL, Park YH, Liong MT. Lactobacillus plantarum DR7 improved upper respiratory tract infections via enhancing immune and inflammatory parameters: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Dairy Sci. 2019 Jun;102(6):4783-4797. doi: 10.3168/jds.2018-16103. Epub 2019 Apr 4. PMID: 30954261.
- Kaźmierczak-Siedlecka K, Daca A, Folwarski M, Witkowski JM, Bryl E, Makarewicz W. The role of Lactobacillus plantarum 299v in supporting treatment of selected diseases. Cent Eur J Immunol. 2020;45(4):488-493. doi: 10.5114/ceji.2020.101515. Epub 2021 Jan 25. PMID: 33613097; PMCID: PMC7882405.
- Kumar A, Joishy T, Das S, Kalita MC, Mukherjee AK, Khan MR. A Potential Probiotic Lactobacillus plantarum JBC5 Improves Longevity and Healthy Aging by Modulating Antioxidative, Innate Immunity and Serotonin-Signaling Pathways in Caenorhabditis elegans. Antioxidants (Basel). 2022 Jan 28;11(2):268. doi: 10.3390/antiox11020268. PMID: 35204151; PMCID: PMC8868178.
- Önning G, Hillman M, Hedin M, Montelius C, Eriksson J, Ahrné S, Jönsson P. Intake of Lactiplantibacillus plantarum HEAL9 reduces the inflammatory markers soluble fractalkine and CD163 during acute stress: A randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled study. Physiol Behav. 2020 Oct 15;225:113083. doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2020.113083. Epub 2020 Jul 18. PMID: 32687924.
- Oláh A, Belágyi T, Issekutz A, Gamal ME, Bengmark S. Randomized clinical trial of specific lactobacillus and fibre supplement to early enteral nutrition in patients with acute pancreatitis. Br J Surg. 2002 Sep;89(9):1103-7. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2168.2002.02189.x. PMID: 12190674.
- Klarin B, Molin G, Jeppsson B, Larsson A. Use of the probiotic Lactobacillus plantarum 299 to reduce pathogenic bacteria in the oropharynx of intubated patients: a randomised controlled open pilot study. Crit Care. 2008;12(6):R136. doi: 10.1186/cc7109. Epub 2008 Nov 6. PMID: 18990201; PMCID: PMC2646346.
- Liu WH, Yang CH, Lin CT, Li SW, Cheng WS, Jiang YP, Wu CC, Chang CH, Tsai YC. Genome architecture of Lactobacillus plantarum PS128, a probiotic strain with potential immunomodulatory activity. Gut Pathog. 2015 Aug 15;7:22. doi: 10.1186/s13099-015-0068-y. PMID: 26279684; PMCID: PMC4536865.
- Huang WC, Wei CC, Huang CC, Chen WL, Huang HY. The Beneficial Effects of Lactobacillus plantarum PS128 on High-Intensity, Exercise-Induced Oxidative Stress, Inflammation, and Performance in Triathletes. Nutrients. 2019 Feb 7;11(2):353. doi: 10.3390/nu11020353. PMID: 30736479; PMCID: PMC6412901.
- Fu SK, Tseng WC, Tseng KW, Lai CC, Tsai YC, Tai HL, Hsu CC. Effect of Daily Oral Lactobacillus plantarum PS128 on Exercise Capacity Recovery after a Half-Marathon. Nutrients. 2021 Nov 11;13(11):4023. doi: 10.3390/nu13114023. PMID: 34836278; PMCID: PMC8619570.
- Wang L, Zhang J, Guo Z, Kwok L, Ma C, Zhang W, Lv Q, Huang W, Zhang H. Effect of oral consumption of probiotic Lactobacillus planatarum P-8 on fecal microbiota, SIgA, SCFAs, and TBAs of adults of different ages. Nutrition. 2014 Jul-Aug;30(7-8):776-83.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.nut.2013.11.018. Epub 2013 Dec 4. PMID: 24984992.
- van Beek AA, Sovran B, Hugenholtz F, Meijer B, Hoogerland JA, Mihailova V, van der Ploeg C, Belzer C, Boekschoten MV, Hoeijmakers JH, Vermeij WP, de Vos P, Wells JM, Leenen PJ, Nicoletti C, Hendriks RW, Savelkoul HF. Supplementation with Lactobacillus plantarum WCFS1 Prevents Decline of Mucus Barrier in Colon of Accelerated Aging Ercc1-/Δ7 Mice. Front Immunol. 2016 Oct 7;7:408. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2016.00408. PMID: 27774093; PMCID: PMC5054004.