Table of Contents
- Is Pueraria Mirifica useful for Transgender Women?
- Does Pueraria Mirifica have any Effects on Males?
- Will Pueraria Mirifica Feminize a Man (and cause Feminization Effects)?
- Is Pueraria Mirifica beneficial for Male Breast Growth?
- Does Pueraria Mirifica have any Male Side Effects?
- What is the Recommended Dosage of Pueraria Mirifica for a Male?
- What is better, Pueraria Mirifica or HRT (Hormone replacement therapy) for MTF (Male to female) transition?
- Does Pueraria Mirifica help lower Testosterone?
- Does Pueraria Mirifica cause Erectile Dysfunction?
- Want to know more?
Is Pueraria Mirifica useful for Transgender Women?
Pueraria Mirifica (also called Kwao Krua) is useful for Transgender Women because it contains phytoestrogens (plant substances similar to human estrogen, one of the main female hormones). This can help with the development of the secondary sexual characteristics found in the female body.
Given it is considered an herbal hormone, it would work similarly to endogenous hormones, but more studies and research is required to establish its usage for transgender women.
Does Pueraria Mirifica have any Effects on Males?
Due to its high phytoestrogen content, Pueraria Mirifica has strong estrogenic effects on Males, which can cause reduced testosterone and increased estrogen levels in the male body. This may help to develop female-like features in males.
- Breast tissue growth (gynecomastia)
- Voice changes (raised pitch)
- Smooth skin
- Less body hair
- Stimulates hair growth on the scalp
- Emotional changes
- Body curvature
- Feminizes face features
- Fat redistribution
What are the Results of Pueraria Mirifica if taken by a Male?
Comments and discussions in some online forums and blogs suggest that Pueraria Mirifica can help a Male to achieve better results when transitioning from male to female (MTF), however, consuming it in higher dosages may not be safe and can cause side effects.
In the video below, a crossdresser shows the effects of taking Pueraria Mirifica for 5 months:
This is our recommended Pueraria Mirifica supplement (Amazon’s Choice):
Will Pueraria Mirifica Feminize a Man (and cause Feminization Effects)?
Regular use of feminizing herbs can raise estrogen and bring testosterone even below baseline levels, causing Feminization Effects. When combined with Hormone Replace Therapy (HRT) and other feminizing herbs, Pueraria Mirifica will Feminize a Man.
You can experiment with these other feminizing herbs before diving into hormone replacement therapy:
Pueraria Mirifica, when applied topically, can elevate serum estradiol levels by a considerable amount. However, it’s highly unlikely that Pueraria Mirifica alone would result in any significant feminization. While some people report minor feminization effects from certain herbal formulas, only prescription-grade hormone replacement therapy (HRT) will provide meaningful feminization results.
Is Pueraria Mirifica beneficial for Male Breast Growth?
Given the small amount of phytoestrogen in Pueraria Mirifica, it may not cause Male Breast Growth at normal dosage in a short time. You may need to take Pueraria Mirifica for several months before seeing any noticeable breast tissue increase. Taking a larger dosage may not be safe and cause side effects leading to an increased risk of breast cancer.
Does Pueraria Mirifica have any Male Side Effects?
Due to its high estrogen content, there is concern that Pueraria Mirifica could cause diminished fertility as a Male Side Effect.
A study conducted on male mice shows that when Pueraria Mirifica was administered to mice in dosages ranging from 10-100mg/ kg of body weight/day for 8 weeks it did not affect fertility or ability to conceive. However, at the dosage of 100 mg/ kg, it showed reduced sperm motility and viability.
What is the Recommended Dosage of Pueraria Mirifica for a Male?
A safe and recommended Dosage of Pueraria Mirifica for a Male is 25-100 mg daily. However, some manufacturers suggest taking up to 200-400 mg of extract obtained from the tubers or roots per day. Some manufacturers suggested taking 250 mg of extract twice a day.
Pueraria Mirifica is available in different forms such as cream, gels, oral capsules, and tablets. So it is necessary to pay attention to manufacturers’ recommendations.
What is better, Pueraria Mirifica or HRT (Hormone replacement therapy) for MTF (Male to female) transition?
Many participants on online forums and blogs suggest that Pueraria Mirifica is better than HRT for a male to female transition (MTF) due to the following reasons:
- Cost: The cost of taking supplements seems to be very low as compared to taking a full HRT course for sex transition.
- Availability: There are plenty of good quality supplements available online and one that suits individual needs can be selected with some research. On the other hand for HRT one has to approach a specialist which may not be possible for everyone.
- Insurance: The participants have commented that their insurance does not cover the HRT treatment, hence it may not be affordable to many. When compared to the supplements which are much cheaper than HRT, it could be affordable without insurance.
- Results: Many prefer slow results and transition provided by consumption of Pueraria Mirifica along with other herbs as compared to drastic and sudden changes by HRT.
Does Pueraria Mirifica help lower Testosterone?
Studies show that Pueraria Mirifica can lower testosterone levels. The study, however, was conducted on rats. In the study, the rats suffered from testosterone-induced prostate cancer. The study evaluated the ability of Pueraria Mirifica to lower the levels of testosterone and thus inhibit cancer growth. The study reported a 1000mg/ kg aqueous extract of Pueraria Mirifica was able to decrease the levels of testosterone.
The studies further reported that the Pueraria Mirifica extract did not affect the levels of FSH, LH, total cholesterol, and triglycerides. It also did not affect the rat body, kidneys, testis, and liver.
In another study when male mice were administered a dose of Pueraria Mirifica extract ranging from 10-100 mg/kg of body weight/ day the testosterone levels remained similar to the control.
The conclusion that can be drawn from these studies is that Pueraria Mirifica can lower testosterone levels at higher dosages.
Does Pueraria Mirifica cause Erectile Dysfunction?
Pueraria Mirifica may cause Erectile Dysfunction if taken in larger dosages that can lower testosterone levels significantly. Studies show Pueraria Mirifica was taken in a larger dosage (1000 mg/ kg) lowers testosterone levels, and as low testosterone level is one of the causes of erectile dysfunction, it could contribute to the condition.
As demonstrated by a study, a dose of 100 mg/ kg of body weight/ day did not affect the level of testosterone in mice. And given that most safe dosages fall between the range of 25-100 mg/ kg/ day it may not be enough to cause a significant drop in testosterone levels leading to erectile dysfunction.
Want to know more?
Click the links below to access the individual topic pages:
This article makes use of information from the U.S. National Library of Medicine under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Cherdshewasart W, Cheewasopit W, Picha P. The differential anti-proliferation effect of white (Pueraria mirifica), red (Butea superba), and black (Mucuna collettii) Kwao Krua plants on the growth of MCF-7 cells. J Ethnopharmacol. 2004 Aug;93(2-3):255-60. doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2004.03.041. PMID: 15234761.
- Cherdshewasart W, Sutjit W. Correlation of antioxidant activity and major isoflavonoid contents of the phytoestrogen-rich Pueraria mirifica and Pueraria lobata tubers. Phytomedicine. 2008 Jan;15(1-2):38-43. doi: 10.1016/j.phymed.2007.07.058. Epub 2007 Sep 24. PMID: 17890070.
- Chen FP, Chien MH. Effects of phytoestrogens on the activity and growth of primary breast cancer cells ex vivo. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2019 Jul;45(7):1352-1362. doi: 10.1111/jog.13982. Epub 2019 May 16. PMID: 31099163.
- Jaroenporn S, Malaivijitnond S, Wattanasirmkit K, Trisomboon H, Watanabe G, Taya K, Cherdshewasart W. Effects of Pueraria mirifica, an herb containing phytoestrogens, on reproductive organs and fertility of adult male mice. Endocrine. 2006 Aug;30(1):93-101. doi: 10.1385/ENDO:30:1:93. PMID: 17185797.
- Mohamad, Jamaludin & Masrudin, Siti Saleha & Alias, Zazali & Muhamad, Airina. (2019). The effects of Pueraria mirifica extract, diadzein and genistein in testosterone-induced prostate hyperplasia in male Sprague Dawley rats. Molecular Biology Reports. 46. 10.1007/s11033-019-04638-5.
- Rajfer J. Relationship between testosterone and erectile dysfunction. Rev Urol. 2000 Spring;2(2):122-8. PMID: 16985751; PMCID: PMC1476110.